Brochure | First Friday Forum
In October 1999, Dr SS Bhatti, founder-teacher and former Principal, Chandigarh College of Architecture, established what he calls “A Platform of the Youth, by the Youth, for the Youth” as an ART NURSERY FOR INTERACTIVE PROPAGATION OF CREATIVITY, CULTURE, and CIVILTY under the umbrella-title of FIRST FRIDAY FORUM.
First Friday Forum provides an Open Platform to Professionals of all genres to share ideas, viewpoints, expertise, and experiences of their respective fields, in everyday conversational language, without the use of jargon, for the widest possible communication of themes, issues, and intentions, which the Speaker holds dear to his heart, as a view and way of life. The dissemination of such experience-based [not bookish] knowledge is accomplished through lively interactions in which nobody sits on a pedestal higher than the audience, and copious inputs from various sources contribute to everybody’s mutual enrichment. Minds thus opened out to fresh light [of new learning] and ventilation [obtained from uninhibited voicing of opinions] eventually leads to the aesthetic enhancement of the Built Environment—to the making of which Architecture, as the Mother of all Arts, is the chief contributor.
- The Forum meets on the First Friday of every month; hence its name: FIRST FRIDAY FORUM.
- To generate mutual enrichment through Interactive Deliberations by Speaking, Listening, and Observing.
This Directive Principle has been depicted in the First Friday Forum Logo designed by him.
- To create an Ecology of Holistic Consciousness.
- To find ways and means to use one’s expertise and experience for psycho-social development.
- To awaken in the individual human person the consciousness of ethical accountability and social responsibility.
- To generate a collective movement towards a civilised lifestyle.
- To synthesise the outcome of human adventure in the diverse fields of the Humanities, Art, Science, and Technology.
- To transform socio-cultural activities into a Religion of Feeling.
- To motivate the modern youth, by inculcating in them creative optimism and self-reliance, to become effective instruments of Global Reform.
- To spread aesthetic awareness of the beauty and bounty of Mother Nature vis-à-vis the Built (or Manmade) Environment.
- To bridge the breach between Geography, Architecture, and Planning—by means of G-A-P [the acronym thus formed] as a constant reminder of an urgent return to Holistic Creativity that was once the hallmark of the Great Indian Tradition.
- The three disciplines carefully selected underscore the inalienable truth that Geography is the Mother of all Sciences; Architecture the Mother of all Arts; and Planning the Mother of all Strategies.
- As a logical corollary to the major Aims of First Friday Forum is the objective of honouring those professionals who have contributed significantly to the enhancement of the Built-Environment through Socially-Beneficent Creativity in sustained consequential works.
SALIENT ACTIVITIES AND LANDMARK EVENTS
First Friday Forum has held over 100 Discourses on a vast variety of subjects/themes like Indian Classical Music, Rainwater Harvesting, Meditation, Philosophic Basis of Yoga, Town Planning, Theology, Aesthetics, Environment, Architecture, Cultural and Social Values, Poetry, Criticism, Sociology, Economics, Landscape Design, Time Management, Religion, History, Art, Metaphysics, Education, KL Saigal, Swami Vivekananda, Engineering, Personal Reminiscences, Heritage, Corruption, Tradition & Modernity, and so forth.
FIRST FRIDAY FORUM AWARDS FOR CREATIVE EXCELLENCE [FFFACE]
- PRIMARY AIM OF FFFACE IS TO IDENTIFY, ACKNOWLEDGE, AND RECOGNISE THE WORK OF THOSE PROFESSIONALS [BOTH FORMALLY QUALIFIED AND SELF-TAUGHT] WHO HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY CONTRIBUTED TO THE ENHANCEMENT OF THE BUILT [OR MANMADE] ENVIRONMENT BY SENSITISING PEOPLE TO THE BEAUTY AND BOUNTY OF MOTHER NATURE WHICH PROVIDES THE INESCAPABLE MATRIX AND MATERIALS FOR ALL FORMS OF HUMAN CREATIVITY.
- THE FOCUS IS ESPECIALLY ON THOSE WHO PURSUE THEIR CALLING WITH PASSIONATE PROFESSIONAL COMMITMENT OBLIVIOUS OF THE CRAVING FOR AWARDS AND HONOURS AS PSYCHO-EMOTIONAL PROPS FOR SUSTAINED CREATIVE ENTERPRISE.
- DRAWING OUR INSPIRATION FROM THE GREAT INDIAN TRADITION WE ARE OBSESSED WITH THE MISSION OF STRIVING TO ACHIEVE MIND-MONEYEDNESS AGAINST THE WORLDWIDE ONSLAUGHT OF MONEY-MINDEDNESS TO HELP HUMAN CREATIVITY REGAIN ITS UNTAINTED PURPOSE OF GUIDING THE SOUL’S ASCENT TO HIGHER ORDER OF LIVING.
- Age [not less than 35 years on the First of October of the Year in which FFFACE is to be conferred.
- Experience [not less than 10 years from the date of entering the chosen Profession/Field.
- Work Done in His / Her Profession/Field [evidence of work in the form of PhD or in magazines/journals/newspapers or books or research papers. In the case of Architecture projects realised as Buildings. In the case of Performing Arts: Stage Performances/Critical Reviews. In the case of Poetry: Participation in Mushairas [Poetic Symposiums] and/or published works.
- Contribution to the Aesthetic Enhancement of Built-Environment [Any work or project that throws light on the intrinsic worth of Human Creativity leading to an awakened appreciation of the beauty and bounty of Mother Nature vis-à-vis the aesthetic charm of Built [or Manmade] Environment].
- Selection is made by a Committee constituted the Founder, First Friday Forum, and headed by him or his authorised Representative.
Awardees are chosen from Architecture and the Humanities/Art/Science/Technology/Other Fields:
- The Humanities cover History, Sociology, Economics, Philosophy, Geography, etc.
- Art includes Visual or Plastic Arts [Painting, Sculpture, Graphic Design, Print-Making, Applied Art]; Performing Arts [Dance, Drama, Music]; and Literary Arts [Poetry, Fiction, Short Story, Novel, etc].
- Science covers Natural Sciences, Biological Sciences, etc.
- Technology encompasses Engineering and other Fields of human endeavour which apply Scientific Principles to the solution of problems facing the humankind.
NOTE: List of Professionals from different fields who were given First Friday Forum Award for Creative Excellence [FFFACE] in the past years is appended along with a Summary of Past Annual Events since 2001.